Harry Potter's MBA Musings
A blog to share my MBA experience from application days to graduation.


Thursday, June 26, 2003  

Better Kerry Talk

I liked this post on Ask Sandy thread at BWeek forum, which demonstrates how different schools should be approached differently for a given story.



John Kerry applies to B school.


"No colored, Whites only" --I had read about such signs, of course, but actually seeing one outside Red's General Store in Selma, Alabama in late 1964 [sk-actually December, visiting a Yalie for Xmas], when I was there in the wake of [brilliant locution-sk] Freedom Summer was a defining moment. I had helped organize Freedom Summer while still a student at Yale, and worked at prep school for JFK, so my liberalism was longstanding. But meeting racism head on, and confronting the built up hostilities of the many otherwise friendly and decent White Southerners, put my easy upbringing to the 'reality' test. I was forced to confront not only the plight of the Black man in 1969, but also my own upbringing as a privilged white male.

[STANFORD]: The lessons I would learn that summer about race, gender, organizing, working with people, meeting hostility, and the role played by own family in forming my character--especially the key role played by my father--would help to discover what matters most to me: it has been a powerful journey, and I would like to share it with you . . .

[WHARTON]: My decision, four years earlier, to attend Yale was a foregone conclusion, based on my family history and interest in history and politics. I regret not thinking more about what other schools I might have attended, many of which would have challenged me more in a social context, but I am glad that I majored in history. I was forced by such Professors as John Cash and Jim Bucks to consider the economic dimension of many key historical events, including slavery. That was a lesson that stayed with me during Freedom Summer and now accounts in part for my transition from activist to private equity investor in socially responsible start-ups.

[HARVARD]: Leading a diverse group of activists, old-time liberals, and Southern volunteers was challenging for several reasons, including my own insecurity and lack of standing in this group [sk--ha, ha, becasue you just got there, and did nothing]. Over the course of several weeks [sk---hmmmmm, who is counting] I was able to develop a style of working through others that included moral persuasion [I was thankful now for all those Chapels I attended at prep school], leading from behind, and just plain old hard work.

posted by Ravi Trivedi | 4:40 PM |
Here
Archives
Alumni of
MBA resources
Statistics


MBA Blogs I read