Harry Potter's MBA Musings
A blog to share my MBA experience from application days to graduation.


Saturday, January 24, 2004  

Round 3 applications ?

Now that, most of my applications are over, and I have a little free time on hand, I am thinking of applying to 1 more school in Round 3. Wharton was a sweet and sour experience for me last year.

It was my very first application that I wrote and the second one that I submitted. My essays were definitely lacking. I was put off by the feedback session. Though, I find the Wharton adcom, students and alum very helpful and professional, the feedback session, was too curt. I did not like the "seasoning" word. It felt like I wasn't in the league who could make it. Last year, I was little depressed with 2 straight dings (including no interview invite from Wharton), and the feedback didn't help my morale anyway.

On one hand, getting a ding is good, as it mellows you down. Many people, while applying, cant access their real chances and there is a tendency to underestimate the competition ( more so , since one has been extremely successful in one's career and as one has excelled tough competition) . I know many of my friends who decided to apply only to Stanford , Wharton and Harvard.

On other hand, there is a potential that you may over estimate the competition. More so, if you are in one of those highly competitive category. (AIIM = Average Indian IT Male) . Demographics have an great role to play in admissions.

Another reason that I didn't think of Wharton earlier this year, was the influence a opinion of a top school alum. He had told and showed me that Wharton wasn't a great fit for some like me looking for post-MBA career in Technology Marketing/Biz Dev.

In nutshell, I am now thinking of taking March 18th deadline for Wharton.

posted by Ravi Trivedi | 6:11 AM |
Here
Archives
Alumni of
MBA resources
Statistics


MBA Blogs I read